Characteristics of the typical discernment process
1. God initiates
2. At some point, if one is listening, it becomes apparent that God is asking you to follow a certain path
3. The person is usually frightened at first
4. The person normally feels inadequate to fulfill this vocation
5. There has to be a trust in God that He will supply what the person is lacking
6. When one says yes, there is a feeling of peace
7. Later, there can be a time of testing. God gives the grace to withstand the trial.
8. With perseverance, there is a growing fulfillment, growth as a person, and sense of peace.
9. The above steps are illustrated in several vocation stories found in Sacred Scripture as well as in the lives of our Sisters of today